Intermittent Fasting Day 16 of 100

156 Flares Twitter 9 Facebook 17 Google+ 34 StumbleUpon 61 Pin It Share 35 Filament.io 156 Flares ×

intermittent fasting

NOTE:  Given some of the comments I realized that most people may not quite understand what its meant by intermittent fasting.  Its not skipping meals or not eating breakfast its about meal timing.  When you sleep your body is fasting.  Intermittent fasting is only the act of extending the fast.  For example say you want to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner so your window would be to eat breakfast whenever you wake up say 8am and have your last meal say at 5pm.  That’s your window you eat from 8-5 all of your daily calories and you fast from 5pm-8am the next morning.  See no meals skipped, still the same calories it just about timing your meals.   Rule #18 of The Skinny Rules by Bob Harpers is to Go to bed hungry.  He recommends cutting your eating off  3hours before bed.    He writes ”  The absence of carbs in your bloodstream will let your body produce the hormones it needs for better sleep.   And with good sleep comes other benefits–muscle repair, brain-chemical balancing, and increased energy during the day” pg 83

So I am not huge on having to plan tons of meals so intermittent fasting really sparked my interest a few months back and since then I have done tons of research on the topic and as well as picked up the book The Every Other Day Diet in and effort to find and option that cuts down on the number of meals I have to prepare each day.

You are probably thinking what is intermittent fasting.  Well its where you only eat during a certain window of time and fast the rest of the time.  So lets say that your window is 4pm-7pm during this time is when you would eat your calories for the day and the rest you would be in a fasted state.

Did You Know…

During the “fasted state,” your body doesn’t have a recently consumed meal to use as energy, so it is more likely to pull from the fat stored in your body, rather than the glucose in your blood stream or glycogen in your muscles/liver.  Nerd Fitness

The Every Other Day Diet is a modified version of intermittent fasting where you diet every other day and on those days you eat around 500 calories and then on your non diet day you can eat whatever you want.  Sounds good doesn’t it.  It sure sounded good to me.  I tried it awhile back and lost about 6lbs.  I didn’t keep it up long because I wasn’t ready to lose the weight yesterday I had finals coming and late nights and lots of late night study snacks.  Any and everything I tried while in school always failed because my life was just really out of order.

Did You Know …

The folks who were normal weight at the start of the diet lost an average of 11.9 pounds after 3 months.  Those who were overweight lost and average of 11 pounds.  (A few of them lost as much as 25 pounds.)  The overweight group also saw significant drops in high blood pressure.  And most of the participants said they didn’t find the diet difficult at all.  Krista Varady, PhD and Bill Gottlieb, CHC  The Every  Other Day Diet  pg. 20

I know a few people that live by intermittent fasting so today I went for it.  I felt good most of the day I powered through my walk and didn’t drop dead and that is a plus in my book.   So when it came time to eat I didn’t want to destroy my hard work but I also needed to get a good amount of  calories in for one meal so I decided to make myself some tasty fajitas using catfish.

My Daily Steps

I upped my steps by 1464 steps from yesterday to today.  I think I am on the right track, literally!

fitbit dashboard

What I Ate

As you can see I got a little sugar and carb happy but I will have to work on that.

intermittent fasting

intermittent fasting

The Workout

Today is a rest day for the weights but tomorrow its on.

Have you ever heard of or tried intermittent fasting?

If you want to give it 100 with me grab yourself a fitbit flex and follow along with me here.

The New Flex: Wireless Activity Tracker

If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

Comments

1. Jessica Peeling says

This sounds really interesting, I just wonder how it works for the body, since I have always heard how important eating breakfast is. I’ve also heard that smaller portion sizes throughout the day are better than taking yourself down to 500 calories a day. It is so hard to sort out all the information that comes with trying to eat better! I’m trying to do this myself right now and haven’t exactly settled on a “plan”.

• says

Yeah I thought the same thing. I talked to all my friends that are trainers and many of them swear by it and doing fasted cardio and all that stuff. SO figured it couldn’t hurt to at least try it. I am always to try something once….lol

2. Robin (Masshole Mommy) says

My doctor told me not to do this because you need calories to burn calories. I am glad it worked for you.

• says

Yeah its kinda of a weird concept. The thing about it is your still eating your same daily calories with regular intermittent fasting your just eating them in a smaller time window versus all day long.

3. says

Just to hard for me. I tried to think about this but it messes my hormonal mood and state. I get weak tired and just about hungrier. I really think IF is great for these who are occupied all day but when you have some issues that require at least 3 meals a day I really would avoid. Plus I think it works same as eating rest of the day if you eat healthy you won’t need to IF. However, great post and thank you for sharing.
    natosha recently posted…Sharp Shredda Herb Grinder With Pollen CatcherMy Profile

• says

Yeah its one of those things that works for some but not for others just like everything else. The people that I know that do it the most are usually bodybuilders and people that do those types of activities.

4. says

There are great benefits to fasting. Do not do if you have a blood sugar problem of any nature especially diabetes. Fasting give your digestive system a much needed rest. It also revs up the metabolism. Do a little research yourself before you try it. Something to consider.

5. says

I like what you write but is it possible to fast this way? I mean would it be healthy? but if you can do this it is great…. lot of will power.. For me I just love ice creams way too much :D

• says

Regular intermittent fasting is something you really do everyday. When you sleep your body goes hours without food and when you wake up you are in a fasted state its the same concept. You eat every day and you eat your normal calories everyday as well except you only eat the calories in a smaller time window, if that makes sense. So your not actually going without food at all.

• says

Here is an interesting article from Dr. Andrew Weil Founder of the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine “Intermittent Fasting: A Healthy Choice” it’s pretty interesting. Of course its not for everyone but he does say the following “But I do think the evidence for the health benefits of IF should make us rethink what seems to be a modern cultural imperative: to avoid hunger at all costs. To the contrary, getting hungry now and then is clearly a healthy thing to do as long as overall caloric intake stays high enough to maintain a healthy weight. (Fasting, like every other healthy activity, must be done sensibly and in moderation.)”

• says

I think if it were an actual fast where you didn’t eat you may gain the weight back but intermittent fasting is actually about meal timing and eating all your calories in a certain window of time its not about not eating at all like what you may be thinking with an actual hardcore fast. You fast everyday in your sleep for hours its about usually just extending that fast. Its the same concept as when you stop eating a certain amount of time before bed.

• says

Yep your right its myfitnesspal. I actually read a book by Bob Harper from the Biggest Loser called Jumpstart to Skinny and its a 3 week plan where you only take in 800 calories a day and it doesn’t hinder your bodies metabolism so I am working through that book and some other sources so I won’t necessarily be eating to 1200 everyday.

6. Amanda @ Erickson & Co. says

I have heard that fasting is good for the body. I’ve never heard of doing it this often tho. I’ll look into it more. Thanks for sharing.

7. Melissa Smith says

I don’t think I would ever be able to do this, at least not in the summer. I eat mini meals when it’s super hot outside to keep from passing out or getting sick from the heat. But I might give this some serious consideration in the fall. Thanks for sharing!

• says

You pick your own windows of time that you eat. So you could say I can eat from 8-4 but after 4 I stop its done like that but you still have to eat a normal amount of calories you just eat them in a condensed time frame.

8. says

I read about this and watched a couple of You Tube Videos about it. It was too hard for me to stick to, but I am glad you are feeling good and it is working for you! That’s all that counts!! Good luck.

9. says

You are better off making a lifestyle change. Instead of skipping meals, you should aim to eat 5-6 small meals/snacks a day. Fill up on fruits, veggies, and protein. You should eat a minimum of 1200 (or more if you are working out calories), any less you send your body into starvation mode and your body will end up losing muscle mass.

• says

I appreciate your advice I don’t think there is a one size fits all for anyone and every person has to find that thing that works for them. I believe that if you do calories based on your TDEE you don’t actually eat the exercise calories back. I think there is quite a bit of debate on eating exercise calories back because we tend over estimate how much we have burned given specific activities that can cause us to over estimate the additional calories we take in. As far as intermittent fasting its about meal timing not skipping any meals really just eating them at different times than you normally would but still taking in the same number of calories. Its the same concept of cutting off the time you have your last meal. So you could eat every single meal but say I am going to eat my last meal at 5pm. From 5pm til you wake up the next morning you have fasted. I think people get confused because they automatically think fast like when people aren’t eating at all.

• says

LOL. I like to eat to you don’t have to give up eating it about cutting meal your time off. So maybe move dinner up if possible and then you just wouldn’t eat after dinner. Half the time is spent sleep which makes it a bit easier and it helps with cutting out the middle of the night snacking.

10. says

I have never heard of intermittent fasting but I have heard people say not eating after a certain time at night is better for you. I try not to eat after 6pm as I’m in bed by 9 or 10 but i’m not always successful. Will have to try this starting tomorrow.
    becca recently posted…Books-N-Blogger SwapMy Profile

11. says

I eat on time meals as well dinner is at 6 last meal by no later the 7pm. I suck at breakfest part hte going to bed hungry is a good idea but I have trouble with that and some times I like to snack I have to work on no snacking after 9 pm

12. says

I have not heard of intermittent fasting before, and at first, I thought this would be something I wouldn’t mind participating in…but…I prefer the results that come from cutting out wheat and sugar from my diet. I don’t think I could only restrict my eating from a short, set amount of time.
    Yona Williams recently posted…Gift Ideas for Tea LoversMy Profile

13. says

Ah! I’ve been doing this almost a year! I’ve lost 50 (pregnancy) pounds from this! And, if you exercise on the fast, it’s a great boost to your workout and calorie burning. I’m in the maintenance phase. I’m hard as a rock, except for that left over skin from ballooning from pregnancy. Sigh. Well, at least I’m healthy! Back in ma skinny jeans~ Thank you for writing on something I’m familiar about! =) Continued success with your IF!
    Meredith Elizabeth recently posted…GUEST SERIES: Catt Peace 1 of 2My Profile

• says

For many it is a lifestyle change. Its not really a diet at all since you are still eating normal calories its only about cutting your eating off at a certain time it really has nothing to do with what you eat its about when you eat.

14. Rebecca Swenor says

The intermittent fasting is an interesting concept. It makes so much sense too. I have never tried it before but may in the future. Thanks for the info.

15. says

Interesting read. There are so many kinds of diets and sometimes I do get confused which is the btter one to follow. For now, I have to stick to a low-carb diet because of my diabetes. No sweets, no soda. I have to put in some daily exercise but I’d rather sleep. (I work nights and it really takes a toll on my health.) Thanks for sharing this. I will ask my endocrinologist if I can follow the intermittent fasting diet.
    Eileen recently posted…Going To College: Here Are 5 Ways To Help Your Parents OutMy Profile

16. says

Keeping all calories to one part of the day seems to make sense and is doable. I’m amazed at the number of steps you do. Even if I go for a walk on a lunchtime at work, I still don’t get more than 6500-7000 steps a day. To get the 10k I need to be walking for a couple of hours, and with a full time sedentary job and a 3 year old it’s only really weekends I can make that. (I do love my fitbit though)
    Emma T recently posted…Book review: On Guard by Karl VadaszffyMy Profile

17. Pam says

Interesting information. Always so much out there about dieting. I have a friend who recently lost 50 lbs and did it basically by just following a no sugar, healthy carb diet. It worked for her and she said it is her new way of eating.

18. lawna says

This is my first time hearing about it. I may struggle with this, as we usually do not eat dinner until 8 oclock at night.

19. says

I don’t know about going to bed hungry, I get horrible heartburn, if I try to sleep on a empty stomach, that’s why I drink a protein shake and drink water before going to bed, so I’ll stay full and not wake up for food.
    Natalie recently posted…#TLCvoxbox ReviewMy Profile

20. says

I have to admit I sleep a lot better on an empty stomach – however I need a little something for my meds so have to compromise – really interesting to know that it has been suggested as well :) x
    Sarah Bailey recently posted…Winning WednesdayMy Profile

• says

That’s great! I think for people who are trying to lose weight its important to look at calories even in real food because too much of a good thing can be bad. I spend a lot of time working with diabetes patients since I am a nursing student and we have to closely monitor the things that they are eating even things that are seemingly good for them so I think its important to take all things into consideration. Also intermittent fasting isn’t about counting calories.

21. says

I can’t remember what the reason was, but my dietician a few years ago told me about how bad it actually is to starve yourself for that long. Your body is not really designed to be without food for more than 8 or 9 hours at a time (think that’s what it was). Anyway, I could be wrong!