Time to Train Day 15 of 100

192 Flares Twitter 9 Facebook 81 Google+ 25 StumbleUpon 54 Pin It Share 23 Filament.io 192 Flares ×

time to train

Last week was a bust as far as training goes but now that I have sent my little man on his way to the East Coast its time to kick things into high gear.  It is time to train and there is not better time than right now.   I know that its going to be tough and that there are going to be days that I feel like I just want to call it quits but I have a goal and I am going to reach it.

This week I laid out a plan for myself because as the saying goes you “fail to plan, plan to fail”  and failure just isn’t an option.   I have no excuses not to reach my goals my son is gone for the summer and I am not working or going to school at the moment so this summer I have the time and determination to make this happen.

The last two weeks I have let my diet slide,  I have really just eaten whatever I felt like although I didn’t gain any weight I know that I can’t continue to eat that way if I want to make it to my goal weight.  So my first order of business is planning out what I am going to eat each day.  I have also taken it upon myself to impose a new rule for meal time.  There will be no tv watching while I eat which is going to be a challenge especially since I am home alone but not watching tv while I eat won’t kill me.

Did You Know…

Being distracted or not paying attention to a meal tended to make people eat more at that meal.  Paying attention to a meal was linked to eating less later on.  Harvard Health Publications

Also as much as I love speed walking I know that I need to incorporate strength training into the mix as well if I want to reap the maximum benefits of my new healthier lifestyle.    I know many women are scared of lifting weights because they believe they are going to bulk up but that is just a misconception.  Weight lifting can actually help you burn more calories and burning more calories is always a good thing.  So if you aren’t lifting then girlfriend you better get started, I know I am.

Did You Know…

Muscle tissue is more “active” than fat tissue, with each pound burning about 30 calories a day just to sustain itself. So even if you’re sitting on the couch or are stuck at your desk for eight hours a day, the extra muscle mass you develop will burn more calories, helping you keep weight off for good.  Prevention

The last thing I implemented was trying to drink around a gallon of water a day.  I didn’t always remember to track it so I will have to figure out a good way to remember to enter it in on my fitbit app.  Drinking more water will help me not to eat as much at each meal which is a great thing since I need all the help I can get in shedding these pounds.  Rule #1 of the Skinny Rules is “Drink a glass of water before every meal, no excuses”  if Bob Harper thinks drinking water is so important to make it Rule one then I am going to take heed.

Did You Know…

Drinking two 8-ounce glasses of water before breakfast, lunch, and dinner while also cutting back on portions may help you lose weight and keep it off for at least a year, according to research presented today at the annual meeting of the American Chemical Society, in Boston.  CNN

My Daily Steps

Since I took that little week break from my hardcore walking schedule I eased in to my walk coming in at 18k in steps which i put in at our local lake.  I would say I didn’t do too shabby.

time to train

What I Ate

what i ate

Breakfast Jun 2 Dinner Jun 2 Lunch Jun 2 Snack Jun 2 Totals Jun 2

the workout header

If you all want to do the exercises at home I used a 20lb CAP bar and did 3 sets of each with 8 reps per set.   On the exercises that I used a dumbbell I used a 10lb and a 5lb dumbbells.   Also the bench that I am using is a standard flat bench.

Bench Press

• Lie down on your back on the bench and grasp the barbell with both hands in a medium-grip position.
  • Push the barbell straight up until your elbows are close to being locked and lower it back slowly after a short pause.
  • Breathe out while pushing the bar and breathe in while lowering it back.

Bicep Curl

• Stand up and hold the barbell with your hands, palms facing forward in a medium-grip position.
  • Raise the barbell up towards your shoulders and slowly lower it back down after a short pause.
  • Keep your back and upper arms still throughout.

Row on Knee

• Kneel over side of bench by placing knee and hand of supporting arm on bench.
  • Position foot of opposite leg slightly back to side.  Grasp dumbbel from floor.
  • Return until arm is extended and shoulder is stretched downward.  Repeat and continue with opposite arm.

Tricep Kickback

• Kneel over bench with arm supporting body.
  • Grasp dumbbell.  Position upper arm parallel to floor
  • Extend arm until it is straight.  Return and repeat.  Continue with opposite arm.

Barbell Row Prone

• Lie prone on an elevated bench and grip a barbell underneath you with both hands in a wide grip position.
  • Lift the barbell straight up and lower it back after a short pause.
  • Breathe out while raising the barbell and breathe in while returning to starting position.

Barbell Shrug

• Stand up and hold the barbell down in front of your thighs, arms extended and palms facing back.
  • Raise the barbell by raising your shoulders straight up and lower it slowly back down after a short pause.
  • Keep your arms extended throughout.

What did you do today to reach your fitness or personal goals?

If you want to give it 100 with me grab yourself a fitbit flex and follow along with me here.

The New Flex: Wireless Activity Tracker

Comments

1. Jessica Peeling says

This is very motivating – you are doing great! I am trying to eat healthier and get fit as well, and I could definitely benefit from documenting my experience like this. :)

2. says

What program do you use to track your steps, calories in vs out, calories burned, etc? Is that from the fitbit? I keep debating on buying one. I want something that I do not have to track from 3 different apps/websites. An all-in-one product would be great.
    Shelly @ Behind Blue Eyes recently posted…My Summer Bucket ListMy Profile

• says

I use MyFitnessPal and Fitbit but you can track everything on the Fitbit website. I had just started using Fitbit long before I started with MyFitnessPal but both websites talk to each other so its nice I only have to enter the information into one of them. I love my fitbit and think its totally worth getting one, I also have their scale that sync up to their website as well.
      Danielle Stewart recently posted…Time to Train Day 15 of 100My Profile

3. lawna says

I love how you broke down your workout and diet menu. I could definitely go for some of those shrimp.

• says

They are so good. I make them all the time because they are quick and easy. I just use the already cooked shrimp and season it with some Old Bay seasoning and put them on the stove for about 5 mins and they are done.

4. says

I absolutely love MyFitnessPal. I did bike riding for a couple days last week. Yesterday, we rode our bikes to the local high school, ran the track, and ran hills – it was a really good workout. I have got to get back on line with my dieting. BTW – love those patio chair rockers.
    Yona Williams recently posted…Gift Ideas for Tea LoversMy Profile

5. says

Thanks for the tips! I unfortunately can not work out due to injuries however the meal tips are beneficial and I have downloaded fitbit!

• says

Have you considered doing any water type of exercises. They are great for people with injuries. They use it for therapy all of the time. I actually am 60% disabled because I fell off of a ship when I was in the Coast Guard and have a bad knee. I do water aerobics 1-2 times a week its very low impact.

6. says

Even though you’re being smart and not going to continue on just eating whatever, I think it’s probably a pretty good sign that when you did do that recently, you didn’t gain weight. I like cardio better than strength training, probably because I’m a strength weakling (which means of course that I should focus on that area more, but I don’t ;) ).

7. Amanda @ Erickson & Co. says

Great job! I can’t wait to join you as soon as my baby is born in July! Well after my body heals from giving birth :)

8. LaTonia Gray says

Omg! That shrimp salad looks delish!! You’re focused that’s for sure. I can’t wait to see the final results.

9. says

Sounds like you had an awesome week – way to go! I have been lifting weights for years and absolutely love it! I have a bunch of free weights so if I am ever watching a show – I am always lifting weights. Its a great rule to have! I also love your statement “fail to plan, plan to fail” – so true in weight lost and in everything in life.
    Jen recently posted…Guilt Free Greek Yogurt Hollandaise sauceMy Profile

• says

The fitbit flex is an activity tracker. So it tracks all of your activites and gives you a few of the calories that you have burned you are able to track your sleep, log your food. I love it because it is super easy to use and the website is user friendly. It also allows you to compete with your friends and gives you a daily ranking competition can be a good thing. Its worth getting one to see just how active you actually are before I got one I thought that I was a lot more active than I actually was. Now I know exactly.

10. says

I’m 33 weeks pregnant, and since I was overweight when I got pregnant, my fitness goals have been to gain the appropriate amount of weight for a healthy baby without going “Oh I’m pregnant, NOM NOM NOM”. So far, I’m doing REALLY well, and hope that will help when it comes time to shed the preggy weight!
    Megan @ C’mon Get Crafty recently posted…Baby Series: Printable Baby Book PagesMy Profile

• says

Congrats on baby! I just finished my clinical round in labor and delivery it was such a great experience. If you plan on breastfeeding that will definitely help shed some extra weight. I believe that you burn roughly 500 extra calories a day.