Get Fit. Get Active. Get Inspired. Subscribe to get the latest updates and printables.

Walking for Weight Loss Day 5 of 100

32 Flares Twitter 9 Facebook 16 Google+ 3 StumbleUpon 0 Pin It Share 4 Filament.io 32 Flares ×

fitbit dashboard walking for weight loss

I conquered Hefner Lake and so its time to move on to the Oklahoma River.   My first choice wasn’t to move on to the river but the other lake nearby required payment and there was no attendant available to flash my disabled vet status to get in free so I decided to trek to the downtown OKC and conquer the Oklahoma River instead.

Now I love my city and all but the Oklahoma River is located in some pretty questionable territory from drunks, to the homeless, to gangs so needless to say I stayed on hyper alert with 911 on speed dial.  I literally took note of what every person I passed was wearing so that I could quickly rattle it off to the 911 operator.  I have watched on too many shows and if I get kidnapped I am leaving clues all over the place.

So obviously nothing happened to me because I a here writing this post.  It was actually a very nice walk and I am happy to report I walked the entire river in just a few hours.  The few people I did see on the trail were in groups on bikes.

I can’t say that I will walk it again alone since the entire time just left me feeling so uneasy but I am happy to say that I at least got it under my belt.  It was definitely a walk to remember!  As you can see I didn’t beat my steps from the day before but 20k steps isn’t to shabby if I do say so myself.

So the week is coming to a close and I started thinking that with pushing myself this hard I have to have some rest days or else my body won’t allow me to continue.  SO I declare Saturday and Sunday my rest days of course I still have to walk but I won’t be going out to any special locations on these days.   I want to reach my goals and I know that letting your body rest is also very important when it comes to reaching your goals.    Monday is going to be Memorial day so chances are I won’t be doing much walking for weight loss on that day either but I will keep you all posted.

Have a super terrific weekend and keep on moving

Here is my what I racked up this week….

walking to weight loss

The river has a trail, park for the kids and even a skate park….

Oklahoma river

Crossing over….

a walk to remember

Oh did I forget to mention Stockyard City…yep during this leg of my walk I got to smell the sweet smell of cow manure….just lovely!

stockyard city

Excited to have gotten this far…I started at the far right side of the map and now I am where the little triangle is on the left.

walking for weight loss oklahoma river map

If you want to give it 100 with me grab yourself a fitbit flex and follow along with me here.

The New Flex: Wireless Activity Tracker

53 Comments on Walking for Weight Loss Day 5 of 100

1. Bella Vida Letty
    May 30, 2014 at 9:08 AM (1 year ago)

Congratulations on your achievement. Stay safe. Be careful out there. Just like you, I always have my phone in hand.

2. April
    May 30, 2014 at 9:18 AM (1 year ago)

Yay for you! I am running my first 5K (I’m 46) in two weeks. I’m afraid it’s going to be a 5K half jog half walk half crawl. I’m thinking of getting a step counter- you seem to enjoy it. Which one do you use? And you need to get a safety app girl! I like SafeTrek.

• Danielle Stewart
      May 30, 2014 at 9:22 AM (1 year ago)

I am using the fitbit flex and I love it. I have never heard of safetrek I will have to look that up. Good luck n your 5k I did my second one this year.

3. Holli
    May 30, 2014 at 9:19 AM (1 year ago)

You are doing SUCH an amazing job! :) I don’t even want to share my FitBit results! :) Keep up the good work!

4. Jennifer Williams
    May 30, 2014 at 9:34 AM (1 year ago)

Maybe you should re-think your walking route as it does not sound very safe. Please tell me you at least carry some pepper spray or something with you. My husband bought me one that is made for runners/walkers – it has a strap that goes around your hand so you do not have to hold it all the time but it is there the second you need it.

• Danielle Stewart
      May 30, 2014 at 9:42 AM (1 year ago)

I would probably have to rethink my whole life if I took the safe route…lol. I am ex military! I do carry a knife because I’m also a hiker and I am in the woods alone a lot.

5. Robin (Masshole Mommy)
    May 30, 2014 at 9:39 AM (1 year ago)

I actually started taking krav maga classes because I went to go for a walk on some preservation land in my whole time and out of no where some creepster started following me. I dodged him, but we were the only 2 people there and I could have easily been raped or murdered.

• Danielle Stewart
      May 30, 2014 at 9:45 AM (1 year ago)

My mom has been trying to get me a gun because here in Oklahoma you can carry a gun out in the open even shopping you can be strapped. Its like living in the wild west…lol. I personally carry a knife for the most part that day I actually forgot it at home. I would have freaked out if someone started following me 911 would have been called instantly.

6. Louida
    May 30, 2014 at 9:42 AM (1 year ago)

You’re really giving me the motivation to get out and start walking. I’ll get started this weekend. Keep up the good work!

7. Kungphoo
    May 30, 2014 at 9:48 AM (1 year ago)

I was discussing an exercise diet plan with my wife this morning.. Thanks for keep me motivated.. i really need it..

8. Alexandra McAllister
    May 30, 2014 at 9:54 AM (1 year ago)

You are doing so well and certainly motivating others. Love your pics! It’s such a great way to journal your journey! Thanks for sharing and have yourself a fabulous weekend!

9. Ashley S
    May 30, 2014 at 10:02 AM (1 year ago)

Look at you go!! Walking is my #1 way to stay active :)

10. Melodi Steinberg
    May 30, 2014 at 10:22 AM (1 year ago)

You are very inspiring. Keep up the great work!

11. Cyndi
    May 30, 2014 at 10:26 AM (1 year ago)

Way to go! Looks like an awesome place to run/walk, aside from the sketchy areas.

12. Kristy - Savvy and Sassy
    May 30, 2014 at 10:35 AM (1 year ago)

I’ve been looking into getting a replacement fitness band. I had a Nike one that wasn’t as useful as I would have liked. The Fitbit Flex looks like a great option. I look forward to following your progress.

• Danielle Stewart
      May 30, 2014 at 10:39 AM (1 year ago)

I looked into getting a Nike fuel band but it only worked with iPhone and I have an android. The flex is awesome I got it because it also tracks sleep.

13. Rena (An Ordinary Housewife)
    May 30, 2014 at 10:40 AM (1 year ago)

Walking can be a great low-impact way to get exercise. I need to find my Fitbit!

14. Emma
    May 30, 2014 at 10:48 AM (1 year ago)

Wow, that is so inspiring and exactly the energy boost that I needed this Friday!

15. Holly
    May 30, 2014 at 10:51 AM (1 year ago)

I have a FitBit Zip and love it. I love all the different stats you get and it keeps me motivated!

16. Paula Parker
    May 30, 2014 at 10:55 AM (1 year ago)

This is so great!!!! Walking is the best exercise. It improves your body’s health so much. Great smile, keep sharing it too.

17. Kerri Hale
    May 30, 2014 at 10:58 AM (1 year ago)

Wow! This is awesome. The scenery looks beautiful. I don’t own a Fit Bit yet, but I keep hearing lots of good things about them. I might have to look into getting one for myself.

18. Bola
    May 30, 2014 at 11:02 AM (1 year ago)

I am currently not into “wearables” but I see how effective they can be to keep track of your steps, heart rate and all.
    You are motivating us all to get moving.

19. Becky
    May 30, 2014 at 11:44 AM (1 year ago)

Good for you! You go girl! I love how you keep track, I need to get me one!

20. Tiffany
    May 30, 2014 at 12:04 PM (1 year ago)

Lol! You are hilarious and your fear of being kidnapped sounds awfully familiar. Haha! I would have been doing the same thing. You probably should avoid doing that alone, though. You are making me want to invest in a FitBit and get out with my son.

21. lawna
    May 30, 2014 at 12:24 PM (1 year ago)

You so sound like me! But I avoid to go on walks around our river areas because I am just too afraid of getting raped or killed while on a walk. A lot of homeless live by the river, not to mention drunks, tweekers, and people up to no good.

• Danielle Stewart
      May 30, 2014 at 12:56 PM (1 year ago)

Same with our river…lol. I just chanced it I went really early I figured all the drunks and tweekers and what not would still be sleep/passed out some where.

22. Yona Williams
    May 30, 2014 at 3:03 PM (1 year ago)

I love walking or bike riding places where you go over a bridge because I love looking over and seeing what is in the water. I love how detailed that fitness activity tracker is.

23. lisa jones
    May 30, 2014 at 3:11 PM (1 year ago)

Doing A Awesome Job Keep Up The Great Work!!

24. Heather
    May 30, 2014 at 3:49 PM (1 year ago)

Congrats! I took up running a couple of years ago and it has made such a big difference.

25. valmg @ Mom Knows It All
    May 30, 2014 at 3:58 PM (1 year ago)

Holy mackerel! You did a lot of walking! I don’t know that I walk that far in a month!

26. becca
    May 30, 2014 at 4:02 PM (1 year ago)

Way to go with your walking. I love my morning walks they are amazing.

27. Pam
    May 30, 2014 at 4:49 PM (1 year ago)

Walking is probably my favorite form of exercise. I don’t walk near as much as you do, though!

28. Ann Bacciaglia
    May 30, 2014 at 5:47 PM (1 year ago)

Your post is so inspirational. Thank you for sharing. I am going to go for a walk this evening.

29. Pam
    May 30, 2014 at 5:48 PM (1 year ago)

You truly are an inspiration. 20,000 steps is amazing and going where you haven’t went before makes it even more inspiring. You deserve a break, for sure.

30. Meredith Elizabeth
    May 30, 2014 at 6:13 PM (1 year ago)

I’ve been considering getting a FitFlex but I have a foot injury from sparring in martial arts. Go figure! =) You are gorgeous. Thank you for motivating me to get off my derriere. Blessings~

31. Rosey
    May 30, 2014 at 6:38 PM (1 year ago)

I’m happy to hear you won’t walk it all alone again. No matter how nice it is, if you feel uneasy, you shouldn’t go. Safety first, and all that stuff (says the worrywart mother in me). :)

32. maria
    May 30, 2014 at 9:04 PM (1 year ago)

Wow!! Taking steps all over is a great feeling!! The walk among nature is a great way to add extra steps.

33. Meredith@MommyAtoZ
    May 30, 2014 at 9:51 PM (1 year ago)

You’re inspiring me to get moving! Congrats on the great progress!

34. Veronica
    May 30, 2014 at 9:58 PM (1 year ago)

You are totally rocking girl! Keep it up! Will you be doing it everyday or are you taking days off?

35. Denise Gabbard
    May 30, 2014 at 9:59 PM (1 year ago)

That looks like a nice place to walk—too bad they don’t police it well. No park rangers?

36. Elayna Fernandez ~ The Positive MOM
    May 30, 2014 at 10:17 PM (1 year ago)

Wow… I love your commitment, and that you are cautious and focused on safety – we want you well! Keep it up!

37. Liz Mays
    May 30, 2014 at 11:11 PM (1 year ago)

I’m gonna scold you and tell you not to go to those dangerous places anymore, missy! You’re doing so well with your goals and rest days are important so our bodies can rebuild!

38. April
    May 31, 2014 at 7:50 AM (1 year ago)

Great job and I love your pictures from your walk. I used to be able to walk in my neighborhood but there was a shooting a couple months ago and I don’t feel safe anymore. I have a treadmill but hate walking on that.

39. Sarah Bailey
    May 31, 2014 at 8:11 AM (1 year ago)

Wow that is some huge mileage! Fantastic go you! Good luck. x

40. krystalskitsch
    May 31, 2014 at 10:41 AM (1 year ago)

great workout! i need to get motivated.

41. Amanda
    May 31, 2014 at 10:42 AM (1 year ago)

I am so proud of the amazing week you have had so far!! Keep it up!

42. April
    May 31, 2014 at 11:57 AM (1 year ago)

That looks like an amazing place to take a walk!!!

43. Jen
    May 31, 2014 at 7:57 PM (1 year ago)

Not sure if walking the Oklahoma river was more difficult physically or mentally! I’m glad you are here to write this post but hope you didn’t lose too many belongings leaving clues :)! I am super impressed with your exercise states -awesome!

44. Tough Cookie Mommy
    May 31, 2014 at 9:49 PM (1 year ago)

My husband was stationed in Oklahoma and he has fond memories of his time there. Keep up the great work.

45. Triplezmom
    June 2, 2014 at 6:11 AM (1 year ago)

20k steps is awesome! Good for you. I’ve only been to OKC once and I’m sorry we didn’t walk on that trail.

46. Lori
    June 2, 2014 at 8:34 AM (1 year ago)

Way to go you! I love walking for weight loss. I’m glad you were hyper vigilant about your surroundings. Stay safe friend & keep up the good work.

47. Francis Ramos
    June 3, 2014 at 1:27 PM (1 year ago)

This is great way to loss weight. I need to loss some pounds. I’m gonna try take some days to loss weight and walk.

On Instagram